How To Lower Your Property Taxes

There are two basic ways you can reduce your Property Taxes:


1. File A Property Tax Grievance

A Property Tax Grievance is a formal complaint that is filed contesting a town’s assessed value of a specific property. If we can prove your home is worth less than the taxable value, you are eligible for a property tax reduction.

Many property owners worry that if they file a grievance, their taxes may be raised or someone from the assessor’s office will come to their home. We can assure you that neither of these things will happen. Upon filing a tax grievance, your property tax assessment can be lowered or remain the same, but cannot be increased, and no one will come to your home.


2. Lower Your Assessment through Exemptions

The easiest way to lower your assessment is to apply for a STAR exemption. STAR is New York State’s School Tax Relief Program that includes a school property tax rebate program and a partial property tax exemption from school taxes. All New Yorkers who own and live in their home – whether it’s a condominium, cooperative apartment, manufactured home, farm dwelling, apartment building or mixed-use property – are eligible for the STAR exemption on their primary residence.

Basic STAR exemption is available for owner-occupied, primary residences regardless of the owners’ ages or incomes. Basic STAR works by exempting the first $30,000 of the full value of a home from school taxes.

The Enhanced STAR exemption is available for the primary residences of senior citizens (age 65 and older) with yearly household incomes not exceeding the statewide standard.

There are also exemptions for Veterans and Clergy.

ZapMyTax does not file for any exemptions, but we thought you should know about them. For more information and an application, contact your Assessor’s office, or click here.

The deadline to file for a STAR exemption is usually March 1st, but check with your Town to make sure of the deadline date.